Parents & Educators
Kids of Courage resources help parents and educators teach children ages 5 to 13 about persecuted Christians around the world, and provide opportunities for the children to serve and pray for them.
What’s on KidsofCourage.com?
Free registration is required to download files. A free sample document is available to download without registration.
- Activity Books
- The Download section includes activity books with 40+ pages of stories, color photos, activities, and cultural information about one topic or country. The Learning About Islam book helps parents and teachers share the truth about Islam from a Christian perspective with students age 8 and up. The books are available for free download on this site.
- Past Issues
- A selection of past issues of Kids of Courage newsletters can be downloaded free. (The newsletter is no longer published.)
- Lesson Plans
- International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church lesson plans for several years are available for free download. The lesson plans are appropriate for Sunday school or other group lessons at any time of the year.
The video section features a variety of VOM video clips, generally appropriate for children, and clips from animated Torchlighters DVDs about past heroes of the Christian faith. (Please preview any DVDs or video clips before showing them to younger children. Torchlighters videos are available for purchase at VOMBooks.com.)
What is Kids of Courage?
The Voice of the Martyrs provides Kids of Courage materials for children aged 5 to 13 so that families and schools can include children in learning about and serving the persecuted church. Kids of Courage resources are committed to:
- Educating students about courageous Christians and countries that restrict Christian worship.
- Encouraging students toward greater spiritual growth by giving them examples of those who are risking all for Christ.
- Providing practical opportunities for students to pray for and aid today’s heroes of the faith.
What is The Voice of the Martyrs?
Richard Wurmbrand, a pastor in Communist Romania, was imprisoned for a total of fourteen years because of his Christian activities. When his wife, Sabina, was also imprisoned for three years, their 11-year-old son, Mihai, was left alone to take care of himself. Only a few committed Christians helped him. The Wurmbrands realized the need for Christians to be informed of the struggles of persecuted Christians and to be given opportunities to help and pray for them. In 1967, after the Wurmbrands were released from prison and left Romania, they started a ministry to serve the persecuted church and to bring Christians in the free world into fellowship with them. The ministry, Jesus to the Communist World, was later renamed The Voice of the Martyrs. Today VOM works in more than 50 countries through its International Christian Association of mission offices. Learn more about the free monthly The Voice of the Martyrs newsletter here.
Aren’t children too young to learn about such sensitive topics?
Kids of Courage materials convey the struggles endured by persecuted Christians without including graphic descriptions or photos, or age-inappropriate concepts. Nevertheless, parents and teachers are encouraged to preview the materials before sharing them with their own children, as they know their children best. Feedback received from parents, teachers, and children since VOM began publishing resources for children in 1996 has indicated that Kids of Courage materials are educating and encouraging children in appropriate ways. Additional feedback about any of the materials is welcome.
Can VOM provide my child with a pen pal in a persecuted country?
Children in countries served by The Voice of the Martyrs are in unique situations. Some are on the run and do not have mailboxes. Others live in secret safe houses or camps. In some countries, it is dangerous for Christians to receive personal mail from Christians in other countries. It can take two days’ work in the fields to earn enough money to buy one postage stamp in some poor countries.
However, children are encouraged to write letters to Christian prisoners through PrisonerAlert. Bibles Unbound also offers a way to bless people in other countries through the mail. In addition, The Voice of the Martyrs’ newsletter occasionally offers opportunities to send cards or letters to Christians in other countries, but the recipients of the letters do not send replies. Participants who help support pastors in restricted nations through VOM’s PSP program may receive on letter a year from the pastor they support.
What other Kids of Courage resources are available?
- Children learn about real-life Christian heroes who withstood persecution. Each DVD includes and animated 30-minute feature, a full-length documentary, and English and Spanish tracks. Topics include Richard Wurmbrand, John Bunyan, Jim Elliot, William Tyndale, Gladys Aylward, Eric Liddell, Perpetua, William Booth, Amy Carmichael, Samuel Morris, Augustine and Corrie ten Boom. You can see short clips of selected Torchlighters DVDs in the video section of this site. For more information about the DVDs, visit VOMBooks.com.
- Hardcover Picture Books
- Stories with colorful illustrations introduce children to the lives of noted Christians who have inspired believers throughout the years. Titles include:
- The Story of St. Nicholas
- The Story of St. Patrick
- The Story of St. Valentine
- God’s Witness: The Courage of Stephen
- God’s Apostle: The Adventures of Paul
- God’s Missionary: The Faith of Thomas
- God’s Prisoner: The Story of Richard Wurmbrand
- God’s Pilgrim: The Real Story of John Bunyan
- God’s Outlaw: The Real Story of William Tyndale and the English Bible
- Bold Believers Activity Books
- Bold Believers activity books include activity books with 40+ pages of stories, color photos, activities, and cultural information about one topic or country. The books are available to download for free on this site. Registration is required to download the activity books. A sample activity book is available for a free download without registration.
- Learning About Islam
- Learning About Islam helps parents and teachers share the truth about Islam from a Christian perspective with students age 8 and up. The book is available as a free download on this site.
- Kids of Courage Newsletters
- The Kids of Courage quarterly newsletter was printed from 1996 to 2011. It is no longer published. Selected past issues are available in the Downloads section of this site.
- Lesson Plans
- International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church lesson plans for several years are available for free in the Downloads section of this site. The lesson plans are appropriate for Sunday school or other group lessons at any time of the year.
The VOM Bookstore features other resources for families and children.
What are some projects kids can do to help persecuted Christians?
Blog posts on this site in January 2012 list 100 Ways Kids Can Help the Persecuted Church in 2012. Additional project suggestions are listed at Persecution.com, at VOMBooks.com, and in monthly The Voice of the Martyrs newsletters. Other suggestions about how kids can help persecuted Christians and examples of how groups, kids, and families are helping are featured from time to time on the Kids of Courage blog.