Published on May 19th, 2017
2 1/2 cups of flour
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of butter or margarine
1/3 cup of sesame seeds
1/3 cup of water
2 teaspoons of honey
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1. Toast 1/3 cup of sesame seeds in a dry frying pan over medium heat, stirring until the seeds are light brown.
2. Pour the seeds in a bowl, and stir in 2 teaspoons of honey. Set aside.
3. Mix 2 1/2 cups of flour, 3/4 cups of sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.
4. Add 1/2 cup of butter or margarine. Stir it into the mixture as you would if making pie crust. Add 1/3 cup of water, and stir just until dough forms. Add a little flour if it is too sticky to handle easily. (For even easier handling, chill for several hours.)
5. Use your hands to make dough balls that are larger than a marble and smaller than a ping-pong ball. Flatten the balls somewhat, and put them on a lightly greased cookie sheet, leaving some space between them. Spoon a little of the sesame seed and honey mixture onto the top of each cookie, and slightly press it into the top of the cookie.
6. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes at 350˚degrees until lightly browned.
Learn about courageous Syrian Christians in Bold Believers in Syria, free in Downloads section.