Published on August 14th, 2014
Comoros is an island nation located off the east coast of Africa. Read five facts about the country below.
- About 98 percent of the people are Muslims. Almost all the children between the ages of 4 and 7 attend private schools to learn to read and recite the Quran. The Quran is the Muslim holy book. Source: The U.S. State Department’s International Religious Freedom Report
- “Turtle Day” was observed in Comoros on May 28, 2014. Green turtles lay 100 to 200 eggs at a time on beaches in Comoros and cover them with sand. The babies hatch in about two months, then race to the ocean. Adult green turtles weigh up to 700 pounds.
- The main language of Comoros is Comorian. Many citizens also speak French.
- Encouraging Muslims to become Christians is against the law.
- Ikililou Dhoinine is the president of Comoros. He was born on August 14, 1962. On his birthday, pray he will rule his country fairly.
Photo credit: ITU—International Telecommunication Union / Wikipedia