Characters: 6 narrators, Peter, 1 or more apostles, 2 or more leaders, angel, 2 or more people
Suggestion: Make a jail out of strands of crepe paper hung from the ceiling to represent jail cell bars.
Narrator 1: After Jesus died and was taken up to heaven, the apostles told many people about Him and about how to become His followers.
Narrator 2: But some leaders did not want people to follow Jesus.
Narrator 3: So they put the apostles in jail. An angel came to the jail during the night and let them out.
Angel: Go! Tell the people about new life in Jesus!
Narrator 4: The apostles went back to teaching the people. The leaders were surprised to find the jail empty! They brought the apostles before them.
Leader: (to apostles) We told you not to teach people about Jesus!
Peter: We must obey God …
Apostle: … rather than human beings!
Narrator 5: The leaders let the apostles go, but they told their officers to beat them first.
Narrator 6: After they were beaten, Peter and the apostles left. They rejoiced because they had been allowed to suffer for Jesus! And they continued to teach people about Jesus.
After the Skit: Discussion Questions
• What did the leaders want the apostles to stop doing?
• Who let the apostles out of jail?
• What did the apostles do after they left the jail?
• Why do you think they did that even though they knew they would probably be punished again?
• What did the apostles do after they were punished the second time?
• Why were they happy?