A Ukrainian Treat
A Christian family who left Ukraine when it was part of the U.S.S.R. (see the previous post) shared the following recipe for a Ukrainian treat with Christians in their new country.
½ cup of sugar
½ cup of flour
1. Separate the 4 eggs and beat the whites until stiff.
2. Add the sugar, yolks, and flour one at time, beating until smooth after each addition.
3. Pour the mixture on buttered wax paper in a 9- by 13-inch cooking pan, spreading it to the edges.
4. Bake at 275 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until a toothpick stuck in it comes out clean.
5. Spread strawberry jam on top. Roll it up, separating it from the wax paper as you go.
6. Slice into pieces ½- to 1-inch thick. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and nuts if desired.
Photo: The Ukrainian church in the photo above, first built in the 1800s, was destroyed by the Soviet government in the 1930s. It was rebuilt in 2005.