Make a Coptic Cross
Needed: Paper, old CDs or DVDs, scissors, pencils, colored paper or poster board
- Fold an 8½-inch by 8½-inch piece of paper in half lengthwise and crease it. Open it and fold it in half widthwise. Open it again.
- Center a DVD on the square by centering the intersection of the fold lines in the hole at the center of the DVD. Draw a circle around the DVD with a pencil.
- Fold the paper corner to corner. Join the corners on the long edge together and fold it in half again.
- Draw two lines from the circle to the long edge of the paper. Make sure the lines are the same distance from the fold line in the center — about ½ inch to 1¼ inches.
- Draw small triangles and rectangles around the edge and outside the two lines you drew in the previous step. Make your decorations symmetrical — if you draw a triangle or rectangle on one side, draw one just like it on the opposite side.
- Cut out the shapes and open the paper. You may want to glue the cross to colored paper or poster board.
Note: Some Coptic Christians in Egypt tattoo a cross on the inside of their wrist as a reminder of their Christian faith. Gangs that kidnap Christians remove the cross tattoos of their victims. But they can’t remove Jesus from the Christians’ hearts.
Read more about Coptic Christians in the Egypt Lesson Plan here.