The following quotes were shared with or by workers from The Voice of the Martyrs during 2019. Most of the quotes came from Christians in countries where believers are persecuted.
1. “This is the greatest gift I’ve received on earth. I’m thankful to get this before I leave this world.” — woman in Asia who received a Bible from VOM. She was a Christian for 20 years before she owned a Bible.
2. “I wish I could have been in there longer so more of the prisoners could hear the gospel.” — Christian in prison for his faith who was released after six months.
3. “If I would disobey God, I would not have persecution.” — persecuted Christian in India
4. “I don’t think courage is not to be afraid. It is to choose to do the right thing even if you are afraid.” — Christian in the Middle East
5. “God is not tame and safe. But He is kind and gentle.” — VOM worker
6. “They spread the virus; we have the antivirus.” — VOM worker who helps Christians spreading the gospel in a country where non-Christians are also spreading their false teachings.
7. “There are amazing blessings to be found that seem only to be found in times of suffering.” — VOM worker
8. “Just pray that we will not stop sharing [the gospel] until our last breath.” — persecuted pastor in India
9. “The nail that sticks out is the one they hammer down.” — persecuted pastor
10. “Following Christ means following risk, not just blessing.” — persecuted African believer
(Source: VOM workers and contacts. Edited for length, clarity, reading level, and security.)
Choose five of the quotes above and say them in your own words. How many of the quotes do you agree with?
To read additional quotes, click here and here.