Published on March 14th, 2016
Fewer than 10 percent of the people in China are Christians. But in some parts of China, Christianity is growing.
Not everyone is happy about that. News reports in the United States this week told about government officials in China who are ordering that crosses be removed from churches.
Read more about what is happening in China below.
- In 2013, a top government official visited Wenzhou, a Chinese city where many Christians live. He noticed that the new Sanjiang Church had a very large spire on top, and he didn’t like it.
- The government decided to remove many crosses and churches. Officials said it would make the area safer and prettier.
- In 2014, the government destroyed the Sanjiang Church.
- More than 1,000 other churches have also been affected by the new rules. Some pastors have been arrested and believers injured when they tried to protect their churches.
- A Christian lawyer started a group known as “Lawyers for the Protection of the Cross.” Thirty Christian lawyers joined the group.
- The lawyer who started the group was seized in a police raid along with several pastors.
- Thank God that many in China are coming to Christ.
- Pray that lawyers and pastors in China will be treated fairly by police and officials.
- Ask God to guide Christians in China in their relationship with non-Christians.
(Sources include: VOM Canada, The New York Times, China Aid, CBS News)