Published on August 15th, 2014
- August 15th is a national holiday in India. Their Independence Day honors India’s independence from Britain in 1947. Citizens hold parades and celebrations throughout the country.
- Recently voters in India elected Narendra Modi as Prime Minister of the country. Modi has had connections to groups that strongly oppose Hindus who leave their religion to become Christians. Some Indian Christians are concerned that persecution might increase while Modi is in charge.
- Some Hindus hope that Modi will be in favor of promoting the use of Sanskrit, an ancient language used in some Hindu religious ceremonies.
- It is not always safe to speak out about leaders in India. Four college students were arrested after they put a picture of Modi in a photo collection they called “Negative Faces” in their student newspaper.
- Indian Christians are trusting God to help them through the coming days. “God is in control,” one Christian told a VOM worker. He knows that persecution might come, but he also said, “Persecution will bring unity to our churches.”
Source: August 2014 The Voice of the Martyrs magazine.
Photo credit: Shivz Photography / Wikipedia / Flickr