Published on April 30th, 2013
Christian heroes are often people who:
- Share Jesus with others
- Forgive those who persecute them
- Stand firm in the faith even when other make it hard for them to do so
A Bible Hero
In Bible times, there were no cars or airplanes, of course. People had to walk or use boats or animals to take them places. Roads were rough and sometimes mountainous. Bandits hid along the paths, waiting to attack travelers.
How far do you think someone could travel in one day in Bible times? Probably not very many miles. But some Bible scholars believe that the apostle Paul traveled more than 10,000 miles to tell people about Jesus!
Paul did not spend all his time traveling. Sometimes he stayed with friends for a while. And he was not always free to travel. He spent time in prison, was whipped and beaten by enemies of the gospel, and was shipwrecked three times. Often Paul felt hungry, thirsty, tired, and cold. (See 2 Corinthians 11:1.)
However, Paul continued to preach about Jesus for more than 10,000 miles!
To Think About
- Ask some friends about their heroes. What qualities do their heroes have that cause your friends to look up to them?
- Who are your heroes? Why do you look up to them?
- What can you do to be more like your Christian heroes?