Published on June 5th, 2012
- The capital of Somalia is Mogadishu.
- Somalia is about the size of Texas.
- Almost 100 percent of the people are Muslims.
- There are no public places of worship for non-Muslims.
- Only about 40 percent of adults can read.
- Somalis are expected to live (“life expectancy”) until about age 50.
- “School life expectancy” is 3 years for boys and 2 for girls. (The number of years of schooling children are expected to get is the “school life expectancy.”)
- Wars and fighting have disturbed the country for many years.
- A Muslim terrorist group, al-Shabab, persecutes Christians.
To Do: Turn each fact above into a prayer for Somalia. For example, the first fact is, “The capital of Somalia is Mogadishu.” You might pray, “Dear God, Please let all the people of Mogadishu learn that you love them. We pray that more and more Somalis will follow you and share your love with others in Africa. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”