This year, the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church will be observed on November 3rd. IDOP encourages us to pray for persecuted Christians around the world, not just on November 3rd, but throughout the year.
You can make a treasure chest prayer box to help you begin a habit of prayer for persecuted Christians.
1. Buy or make a prayer box. (See the suggestion in the photo.)
2. Add handmade items or small items you have purchased that can help you remember specific needs of persecuted Christians.
3. Find scripture verses that relate to the items and to Christians in countries where their faith puts them at risk.
4. Use the items and verses to compose a prayer for the Christians. (Examples of items and verses, and three prayer examples, are below.)
5. Choose an item each day to guide you in your prayers.
6. As you hear stories about persecuted Christians during the next year, add new items to the box that relate to their stories.
The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped. — Psalm 28:7
Heavenly Father, please protect and guard Christians who are in danger today. Thank you for helping them. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. — James 1:12
Dear God, Please help Christians in [name of a country where Christians are persecuted] stay strong in their faith and take comfort in your eternal promises. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Bible (God’s Word)
And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness…. — Acts 4:29
Dear God, Thank you for Christians who speak your word boldly. Let them continue to have courage, even when they are threatened. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Take…the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication, To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints…. — Ephesians 6:17-18
Tissue (to dry tears)
Those who sow in tears shall reap with shouts of joy! — Psalm 126:5
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. — Psalm 147:3
By day the Lord commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life. — Psalm 42:8
Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me. — Psalm 43:3
For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. — 1 Corinthians 1:18
Trust in the Lord with all your heart. — Proverbs 3:5