Published on April 2nd, 2021
Needed: Paper; a 2-inch jar lid or other circular object; scissors; pencils; a small, sturdy craft bag with handles
- Fold a 4-inch by 4-inch piece of paper in half lengthwise and crease it. Open it and fold it in half widthwise. Open it again.
- Center a 2-inch jar lid or other circular object on the square. Draw a circle around the lid with a pencil.
- Fold the paper corner to corner. Join the corners on the long edge together and fold it in half again.
- Draw two lines from the circle to the long edge of the paper. Make sure the lines are the same distance from the fold line in the center — about 1/8 inch.
- Draw small triangles and rectangles around the edge and outside the two lines you drew in the previous step. Make your decorations symmetrical — if you draw a triangle or rectangle on one side, draw one just like it on the opposite side.
- Cut out the shapes and open the paper to form a Coptic cross like those seen in Egypt . Cut out a 3 1/2-inch square from the front of the craft bag. Cover the opening with the cross, gluing the four points to the bag. Put an electric tea light in the bag.
Note: Some Coptic Christians in Egypt tattoo a cross on the inside of their wrist as a reminder of their Christian faith. Gangs that kidnap Christians remove the cross tattoos of their victims. But they can’t remove Jesus from the Christians’ hearts.