Published on February 26th, 2015
Dozens of Christians were kidnapped by radical Muslims in Syria this week. The Voice of the Martyrs received an email from a Syrian Christian leader giving specific ways to pray. Will you join our Syrian brothers and sisters in lifting up the requests he shared?
- Pray the Lord will encourage Christians in Syria so they can be a living testimony, in the midst of war, to others around them.
- Pray for God’s protection of the Christian community in Syria.
- Pray young Christian men will turn to God and put their hope in Jesus.
- Pray for children and women who are being taking hostage by IS.
- Finally, pray for peace in Syria.
Source: VOM Facebook
“Levant” comes from a French word that means “to rise.” Countries on the eastern edge of the Mediterranean Sea, including Syria, are sometimes called “the Levant.” From the viewpoint of the countries west of them, they are in the East where the sun rises.
A radical Muslim group, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), has become well-known for their part in violence in Syria and Iraq. They changed their name first to “ISIS,” the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. Then to emphasize their goal of creating a large Muslim nation, they changed their name to “IS,” the Islamic State.